Wessex League one side  Romsey Town  knock out Southern League AFC Totton

By Clare Crossland.

Romsey Town caused a big upset on Tuesday night, when they knocked out Southern League side AFC Totton in the second round of the Hampshire Cup. Town took an early lead when Josh Harvey pounced on a loose ball inside the AFC Totton box and slid the ball into the net.

Romsey didn’t let their opponents superiority phase them and continued to dominate the game and Indi Elezi very nearly doubled the lead, as he blazed over from close range. Moments later and AFC Totton, who fielded near on a full strength side, equalised when Charlie Gunson squeezed the ball in from close range.

Romsey very nearly took the lead when Joao Aldeano struck a fierce right foot shot towards goal, only for Shane Murphy to expertly tip it round the post for a corner. Shortly after Elezi did put the hosts ahead, when he latched onto a through ball and hit a powerful shot across Murphy and into the corner of the net to give Town the lead at the break.

Half time Romsey 2 AFC Totton 1

The second half began very evenly with both sides not having any real clear cut chances. AFC Totton did have the chance to draw level when they were awarded a dubious penalty, but striker Craig Feeney saw his effort rebound off the post.

With the game coming into the closing stages, AFC Totton did find an equalizer, when Gunson got his second of the game, stabbing home from close range following a corner. That goal gave the southern league side the momentum and though they began to stretch the game in the final third, Romsey defended superbly and nullified any threat on their goal. In the closing stages of the game, Romsey were reduced to ten men when substitute Wayne Boud was shown a straight red card for a scuffle with Adam Wilde, but by then it was too late to have any effect on the game and it went to the lottery of penalties.

End of normal time Romsey 2 AFC Totton 2

Jordan Westbrook  Jordan Westbrook

Photo credits Lionel Williams

As in the previous round Romsey keeper Jordan Westbrook was the hero, saving three of AFC Totton’s penalties. Craig Bryant scored the winning spot kick to send Town through to the next round.

Final score Romsey win 6-5 on penalties

After the game Town manager Andy Samuels was full of praise for his side. ” We knew it wasn’t going to be an easy game tonight, but I can’t fault the players, I’m very proud of the performance they delivered against a side two divisions above us. Nights like tonight make all the tough times seem completely worth it and makes you realise you owe them for the feeling we’ve got tonight. I’ve told the lads to enjoy it and they will, but they know we need to produce a repeat performance on Saturday at home to Bournemouth Poppies in the FA Vase, if we want to be in the hat for the next round. ”


Originally posted 2017-09-22 18:33:09.